About Shepherd Montana:
Amazingly enough, Shepherd offers recreational activities provided by the nearby Yellowstone river and valley. Residents and visitors can enjoy activities like hiking, fishing, boating and swimming. Well-maintained parks provide a family-friendly atmosphere, perfect for picnicking and walking. People looking for quality life will surely find it herein Shepherd.
Some History of the Area:
Helen L. Bickford – July 3, 1902 – December 18, 1955.Mr. & Mrs. Bickford moved to shepherd in 1928 from Columbus, MT. Mr Bickford had managed a Sawyer Store in Columbus. He purchased the Shepherd Mercantile Co. which was at that time located at the east entrance of Shepherd near the present location of the Lutheran Church. The Store carried general merchandise, groceries, hardware, soft goods and petroleum products. It also housed the post office. At he time the Bickford’s had one son, Robert W Bickford, born in Columbus June 10, 1927. Their second son, Jame E Bickford, was born October 5, 1929 and passed away June 10, 1974. Their third son, Donald A. Bickford, was born March 9, 1935. The R.W. Bickford’s have four children. The J.E. Bickford Family consist of five children, and the D.A. Bickford’s have two children. This makes a total of 11 grandchildren. Around 1937 the store was moved to the old Shepherd Bank Building. (*the Location is presently occupied by the U.S. Post Office.) This store carried approximately the same line of merchandise as the old one. It was the general gathering place of the school children during their lunch break; and as any of them can attest, Mr Bickford loved to tease one and all. He was the Postmaster and Mrs. Bickford was Assistant Postmaster. The family moved to the house on the south corner of the same block at Wade and Carey Streets. They occupied that residence until 1955.In 1928 Chester A Bickford received the postmaster appointment and the 1938, the post office was moved to the old bank building where it has opertaed ever since.In 1928, Chester A Bickford purchased the Shepherd Mercantile Company. The business operated near the crossroad into Shepherd until it was moved into the bank building in 1938. In 1956, Pete & Esther Engbrecht purchased the business.